For my first official (am I official?) winery review, I chose to start with my favorite local winery. The Cottage Vineyard & Winery is located in Cleveland, Georgia off Hwy 129 North. This family owned winery is laid-back, inviting, and the views are incredible. The winery overlooks acres of beautiful farm land, with mountains just peering over the top.
The Cottage is open 7 days a week from 11:55 am to 6:02 pm (I love that there are no real set times….Just “wine time”), and on Saturdays they are open until 9 pm, with live music every Saturday.
- 5 tastings for $8, 8 tastings for $12 (this is so inexpensive, it’s fantastic!)
- For the non-wine drinkers, they offer craft beers from Georgia breweries.
- You can BRING YOUR OWN FOOD. Pack a picnic lunch or bring to-go plates from your favorite restaurant. Papa John’s even delivers to the winery! Seriously, there are very few wineries that allow this.
- Along with their own wines, they also feature 5 wines from Currahee Winery in Toccoa, Georgia.
- On the weekends, The Cottage sells gourmet cheese plates from Betty’s Country Store in Helen, Ga. They sell out within the first few hours, because they’re so delicious and a great price.
- They offer cigars for those who…enjoy smoking cigars.
- On Sundays at 10:30 am, they have a worship service called “Jeans & Jesus”. I mean, come on! Could this place get ANY BETTER?
Now, on to the wine! Keep in mind that these are my opinions, not necessarily the opinions of general public. I’m no professional.
The Cottage has 12 of their own wines available to drink and buy. If you ever visit The Cottage, these are the wines I recommend you give a try:
- The wine they are most known for is Baby Doll Legs. It’s a semi-sweet rosé that gives off some serious grapefruit vibes. Too sweet for my taste, but my mother really enjoys it. It’s a light summery wine, great for a girls’ day by the pool.
- My favorite is the Vidal Blanc, an “off- dry” wine with just the perfect amount of fruity sweetness. I buy a bottle of this every time we visit. It’s pairs perfectly with seafood or chicken, but it also has enough citrus flavor to be enjoyed on its own.
- When it comes to red wine, I’m pretty particular about what I like. I highly recommend the Meritage Reserve. This earthy, fruity blend of 4 wines is smooth and sultry. I love this wine with dark chocolate…it’s just so rich in flavor.
- My husband is a red drinker. He prefers full-bodied wines. His favorite is the Merlot. This wine has a dark berry and deep earthy undertones. Not for everyone, but he definitely enjoys this Merlot the most.
- I can’t end this post without mentioning the Reserve Chardonnay (limited release). This wine….whoa. It’s very crisp and almost tastes like you’re biting into a granny smith apple. The flavor is so satisfying. I see this wine paired with seasonal veggies and a bowl of fettuccine alfredo, but also enjoyed on its own. I’m not sure how long this wine will be out, so run and try it!
I think that about covers it. I can’t wait to explore more wineries and wine for you! This is going to be so much fun! Of course, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to comment below or send me a message. Happy Sipping!